At the start of the academic year, the Oulu University Library runs inductions to the library using for new students. This small group teaching is the first stage of information skills training and it is included in the curricula.
The objective of the teaching is that student:
• knows the most central services of the library
• can utilise the library as a studying place
• know how to look for and locate books and journals.
Information skills are part of academic study skills needed in professional arena too. Information retrieval courses are mandatory in most degree programmes. The library participates in the timetabling work of the university and discusses the organization of the courses with teachers.
Upon completion of the course, the students:
- can search scientific information,
- can use the most important databases of their discipline,
- know how to evaluate search results and information sources,
- can use the reference management tool.
You can ask information specialist to introduce a course in your seminar meeting.
Our courses in Finnish.
By request courses in English, too.
Archaeology and Cultural Anthropology